When Bangladesh makes waste useful/ gives waste value

Published on: Last updated:

Temps de lecture : 1 minute  

The 11 million inhabitants of the city of Dacca, in Bangladesh, produce 3 500 tons of solid waste a day of which 80 % comes from organic sources. In 1995, the city council made the firm WasteConcern responsible for organising the collection of this waste from homes. Sale proceeds of the compost cover 70 % of the collection. The remaining 30 % is paid by the inhabitants (less than a euro a month per household). This program, which has been awarded several international prizes, has since been implemented in 14 cities in the country with the support of the government and the PNUD.

Media Query: